Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our Commitment to Guests, Team Members & Owners During COVID-19
For more than 55 years, the Motel 6 name has been synonymous with clean, comfortable and affordable accommodation wherever the road might take you. During these difficult and unprecedented times, we remain a welcoming place of rest, and our number one priority continues to be the health and safety of our guests and team members.
We’re incredibly proud of our guests, many of whom are the heartbeat of America—from frontline workers to those who continue to provide essential goods like truckers, factory workers, and farmers. Our guests continue pushing our country forward and demonstrate a sense of normalcy during an uncertain situation.
We continue to “Leave the Light On” for travelers, and welcome guests where it is still permissible under the latest state and local mandates, and where we are able to operate safely and have the staff available to do so. Where we are unable to continue operations, or are restricted to essential workers only due to local mandates, our central reservations and hotel teams try their best to relocate guests and provide information about local resources available to them.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created unparalleled challenges for our industry, and we are firmly committed to supporting our Motel 6 and Studio 6 family through this period of uncertainty. As the impact of COVID-19 evolves, we continue to follow the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization, as well as federal, state and local authorities.
We are so grateful to you, our guests, and our team members, as we all navigate the challenging circumstances the world is facing in the weeks and months ahead. That said, we know that we will endure and come out stronger for the future. We hope to see you soon and invite you to come and stay with us wherever the road may take you.
Update April 19, 2020
We are proud to join numerous other hotels across California to support the Governor’s Project Roomkey effort. We continue discussions with individual counties to identify ideal locations and terms of Motel 6 occupancy agreements. Once an agreement is made, the location will be closed to the general public and not available to receive other guests during the term of the occupancy agreement.
Leaving the Light On for Essential Workers
We recognize the importance of providing a safe place to stay for those who must travel during this challenging time. We’re ready to help our communities at our locations nationwide. As a thank you to first responders, medical professionals and active duty military and National Guard, who are working on the front lines of this pandemic, we’re offering a heroes rate at a 20% discount. The offer is only available online and cannot be booked through Online Travel Agencies or directly at hotels. If you qualify for this rate and are in need of hotel rooms, please click here to book. Identification is required at check-in.
We also have partnered with the American Hospitality and Lodging Association and are participating in its Hospitality for Hope program. The initiative was created to boost collaboration between the hotel industry and local, state, and federal governments, with the hope of helping communities nationwide. This partnership will allow us to connect directly with health community members struggling to find housing during COVID-19.
Ongoing Community Support
Throughout the COVID-19 crisis, we have participated in discussions with state and local governments in an effort to offer our ongoing assistance and support to the communities in which we operate across the U.S. We learned there is a need for additional shelter to house our most vulnerable populations, our first responders, medical professionals, other essential workers, and those who may need to need to quarantine at this time. In several communities, we have partnered with local governments to provide this shelter, and we continue to work with various municipalities to offer our help during this public health crisis.
Providing Travel Flexibility for Guests
We understand that your travel plans may change and are waiving cancellation penalties for all reservations through July 6, 2020. Contact our Guest Reservations team at (800) 899-9841 if you need to make a change. We will make every effort to assist you with adjusting your travel plans in the months ahead.
Protecting Our Guests and Team Members
- Protective Gear: At our company-owned hotels, despite supply chain disruptions, we use our best efforts to provide our team members with personal protective equipment in the form of gloves, disposable aprons, and both disposable and cloth face masks where we are able to secure these supplies. In hotels that have night windows, they are being utilized at all times. We also are installing Plexiglas barriers at all our company-owned hotels to maintain physical distance between our guests and team members. As we learn more about this virus, we will continue to make additional adjustments operationally, based on the latest guidelines and recommendations of the CDC and occupational health specialists.
- Enhanced Cleaning Protocols: All Motel 6 and Studio 6 locations have updated best practices for protection against infectious disease and have increased cleaning frequency for common areas and hard, non-porous surfaces throughout our hotels. We are continuing to provide our team members with additional cleaning and sanitation supplies, and despite supply chain disruptions, we have made operational adjustments to protect the safety and wellbeing of our team members and guests. If a hotel has a confirmed case of COVID-19 on site, we engage a third-party cleaning and restoration company to provide an enhanced level of cleaning.
- Social Distancing: We ask guests to respect CDC recommended social distancing guidelines and maintain a six feet distance when checking into our hotels and moving throughout our common areas. In most hotels we have reduced our maximum occupancy to allow our guests to better practice social distancing and to minimize contact between our team members and guests.
- Disruption of Service: During this time, please be aware that we have suspended daily housekeeping service unless requested. We will assist with trash removal and provide fresh towels and sheets outside of each room as needed. Some of our amenities such as complimentary coffee in our lobbies and pool access also have been suspended. These measures are in place to ensure social distancing and minimize contact between our team members and guests. Please contact the hotel directly should you have any questions related to your stay.
- Team Member Illness: Any team member who shows signs of illness is asked to stay at home and advised to follow CDC and State Health Department guidelines. We ask symptomatic team members to seek medical advice and/or treatment. We also have provided additional paid leave at our company-owned locations to help support those who need to stay home for any reason. We will continue to review our practices as we learn more about this disease and implement additional protective measures as appropriate.
- Team Member Financial Support: Our Care@6 Team Member Relief Fund is open to team members at any Motel 6 or Studio 6 hotel anywhere in the world. It is an anonymous grant-giving foundation created to support team members in financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.
Resources for Furloughed Team Members
Motel 6 is committed to providing financial support to furloughed team members at our company-owned hotels should the need arise to suspend operations at their properties. We are providing a lump sum payment and continued healthcare if they participate in the company’s healthcare plan. We’ve also partnered with several companies who have immediate job openings to create an accelerated selection process. Our hope is that many of these team members will be able to secure interim employment, and we are committed to assisting them in those efforts.
We have worked closely with our independent hotel owners to support them during this pandemic. We regularly share best practices and recommended protocols, which protect the health and safety of everyone at the property. Our Brand Performance teams are in constant communication with owners to ensure we stay connected as one Motel 6 / Studio 6 family. We also have provided relief to our owners and resources to help them understand available government programs, so we can leave the light on through this crisis and emerge as an even stronger brand going forward.