First of Prototype Opens in North Texas with Sights on LEED® Certification
DALLAS, Texas (October 8, 2009) – Accor North America, one of the nation’s largest owner/operators of economy lodging, announces the opening of its very first newly-built Motel 6 “Phoenix” prototype in the nation. Complete with the chain’s modern new interior and exterior design, the property also features advanced technology and energy efficiency measures that will make Motel 6 Northlake-Speedway the brand’s greenest property ever.
“As the first of its kind, this new property represents a big step for Accor in the continued growth and development of the Motel 6 brand,” said Olivier Poirot, CEO, Accor North America, Motel 6 and Studio 6. “We’re happy to unveil the complete new look that guests can expect of Motel 6 as we continue our aggressive plans to implement this exciting new design and high standard of energy-efficiency.”
As the first newly-constructed “Phoenix” property, Motel 6 Northlake-Speedway features elements that Motel 6 guests have never seen before, including the new exterior designed by BOKA Powell of Dallas, a 24-hour food and beverage marketplace, and an overall fluidity in the fresh, clean, modernized design both inside and out.
The Motel 6 Northlake-Speedway location will be the most energy-efficient property Motel 6 has to date and is the chain’s first property to be submitted for LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification. Not only does it adhere to Accor North America’s ongoing earth-friendly initiatives like the use of technologically-advanced heating and cooling systems, Fluorescent Light Bulb and Battery Recycling Program and water conservation measures, but also includes advanced energy efficiency initiatives that will further reduce its energy consumption compared to current Motel 6 properties. Some of these advanced earth-friendly measures include:
• Energy Efficiency – Thermal solar water heating; reflective cool roof, low e-glass tinted windows, low-energy lighting (compact fluorescent and LED), high-efficiency PTAC units with wireless occupancy-sensing thermostats; high-efficiency laundry equipment with computer-controlled dryers; environmentally sensitive laundry and cleaning products; property was designed to get minimal western sun exposure to keep the building cooler in hotter months
• Water Conservation – Native landscaping with water-efficient and drought-resistant plants; high-tech irrigation control; guestroom low-flow 1.1-gallon pressurized toilets; 0.5-gallon aerators in all sinks and 1.75GPM shower heads
• Building Materials & Recycling – Wood-effect flooring made of 80% pre-consumer recycled material which is longer-lasting and requires no vacuuming or steam-cleaning; use of certified sustainable lumber for construction; low-emitting construction material; waste recycling during construction.
The new Motel 6 “Phoenix” prototype design was announced in March 2008. Since late 2008, Motel 6 has renovated approximately 50 of its existing corporate-owned locations in more than 20 U.S. markets with elements of the “Phoenix” room design. Guestroom features include a modern, Euro-chic design by Priestmangoode of London, 32” flat-screen TVs, wood-effect flooring, granite bathroom countertops, and a comfortable settee area conducive for eating, working, or watching TV.
Motel 6 Northlake-Speedway is located at 13601 Raceway Drive in Northlake, Texas, diagonally across from Texas Motor Speedway and just a short distance from Alliance Airport. For reservations or information, visit www.motel6.com or call 800-4-MOTEL6.
About Motel 6
Motel 6 offers the lowest price of any national chain at more than 1,000 company-owned and franchised locations throughout the United States and Canada. For 23 years, Motel 6 has used the tagline, “We’ll leave the light on for you,”® earning the chain the highest brand recognition in the economy lodging segment. Motel 6 was the first national pet friendly chain, welcoming pets since 1962. Standard amenities include free local phone calls, no long distance access charges, free morning coffee, data ports, Wi-Fi Internet access and cable channel line-up with premium channels including HBO, ESPN/ESPN2, and CNN. Most locations offer swimming pools and guest laundry facilities. For more information, visit www.motel6.com.
About Accor North America
Headquartered in Dallas (Carrollton), Texas, Accor North America operates more than 1,000 upscale and economy properties including nationwide economy leaders Motel 6, Studio 6, Ibis, Sofitel Luxury Hotels and upscale Novotel locations in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. For more information, visit accor-na.com.
About Accor Worldwide
Accor, a major global group and the European leader in hotels, as well as the global leader in services to corporate clients and public institutions, operates in nearly 100 countries with 150,000 employees. It offers to its clients over 40 years of expertise in two core businesses:
- Hotels, with the Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery, Novotel, Mercure, Suitehotel, Ibis, all seasons, Etap Hotel, Formule 1, Studio 6 and Motel 6 brands, representing 4,000 hotels and nearly 500,000 rooms in 90 countries, as well as strategically related activities, such as Lenôtre;
- Services, with 32 million people in 40 countries benefiting from Accor Services products in employee and public benefits, rewards and motivation, and expense management.